Friday, August 20, 2010

My Husband

Chances are that Dan won't be too thrilled with this post because he doesn't like being in the center of attention. But, I apologize because I think this is something worth sharing. In this fast paced world it is becoming harder and harder to find individuals who are willing to help complete strangers. 

A few days ago Dan invited me to crash his law student tour of the campus, so I tagged along. It was a very hot day, somewhere in the 90s and I was already sweating from the short walk to meet the tour group. I was dreading the next hour because the campus is filled with many steep hills, and I knew it was going to be exhausting. Within 100 feet of starting the tour we saw a woman in a wheel chair. She was a very heavy set woman, she was missing one foot, and I could tell that she had numerous medical problems.  The woman was trying to push herself up a hill. Instantly, I recognized that she needed some help, but didn't immediately do anything.  I was waiting to see if any of the men from the tour group would stop to help her.  Every single person from the tour group passed by the woman without acknowledging that she even existed, everyone except Dan. 

Without hesitation he walked right up to her and asked her if she needed help. She replied that she needed to get from the bottom of this hill to her apartment at the very top. Dan grabbed the back of her chair and began pushing. A block later the tour stopped to inform us of some useless information about the many sororities and fraternities that were on campus. Dan stopped along side us for a moment to let me know he would take her up the hill and then find us when he was done. 

I stood there watching him. His calves were fully flexed as he used every bit of strength he had to push this woman up a hill, something that would have been impossible for her to do on her own. Dan stopped a few times to catch his breath, but within moments of stopping, he had resumed up this never ending obstacle. I was instantly overcome with a sense of pride. Out of all the capable people on our tour, including the two tour guides, my husband was the only one to even acknowledge the woman who was so clearly suffering. Then he did something about it.

Eventually, the tour continued and I trekked up the hill. As I felt the sweat roll down my forehead all I could think about was how hard Dan was working to help this stranger, and no one in the tour seemed to even notice he had continued on. We saw a few more buildings, and heard a few more "interesting facts". A library here, a commons building there. Five or ten minuets had past and I was starting to worry, like I always do, that Dan was still no where to be seen. After a few more minutes Dan appeared. He was dripping with sweat and clearly out of breath. The tour continued. 

On the way back to our apartment I told Dan how proud I was of him. He replied, "She needed the help. She can't be out here in this heat trying to go up a hill. She would get a heart attack or heat exhaustion." The woman had told Dan that because the school year hadn't started yet the University was running the busses on a very limited schedule. If the woman had not been able to make it up that one large hill she would have had to go all the way around the entire campus at a lower incline for miles and miles to be able to make it to her apartment. 

This broke my heart. I couldn't believe that she didn't have any friends, family or staff that she could ask for help. 
I told Dan again how proud I was of him, and that no one else even noticed. He replied, "It was the right thing to do."

To Dan and the rest of the world, this was a small insignificant event - no big deal. It won't go down in history books, and it won't be featured on the evening news, but to the woman he helped, this no big deal made the world of difference, but I can't help but wonder if I am the person who received the most out of this small act of kindness. 

I received the gift of love, a deeper love for my husband, when I didn't think it was possible to love him any more. All because he is the type of good hearted person that is so rare in this world. Every time I think about it I fall a little bit more in love with him. 

The best part about this experience is that I was able to witness a miracle.   

A miracle in a time where they are so hard to find.   

A miracle that stopped me in my tracks, humbled me, and made me realize that there are more important things in life than my class schedule or the fact that we need a microwave.   

A miracle because it was "the right thing to do". 









1 comment: