Thursday, October 21, 2010

October .. October

October is one of my favorite months. It is full of falling leaves, candy corn, and home-made chili with cornbread. It has been a a full month so far, Dan had his first mid-terms and I've ambitiously started a million sewing projects. The sewing had an interesting start due to the fact that the presser foot lifter on my machine broke off and I had to scour the internet to find parts dealers - and the only one out of 15 that had it in stock. Then I had the joy of paying more for shipping than the actual part. Fail. The best part of all was finding out how to take apart the entire machine, replace the part, and put it all back together without a manual. I must have been inspired by the recent season of 'Project Runway' - the finale is tonight!!! I am so excited.

Marriage has surprised me in a few ways - every day it seems like I am getting a little more and more like my mom. - A thought that a few years ago would have terrified me, but now it feels more like an honor.  One of my favorite childhood memories was when my mom made me a dress that matched a pair of shorts my dad had. I loved my little homemade outfits, I can't wait until I can do that for my kids.

Along with the day to day projects October is full of a bunch of Birthdays. My mom, Dan, my brother - Robbie and some of my close friends. I have never made a big deal about my mom's birthday before, but being away from home this year has really opened my eyes to how much I love and miss my family. I have one of the most amazing women in the world as a mom. She is the hardest worker that I've ever know, and she isn't scared to get down and dirty to get things done. She is the kind of woman that isn't scared to rip out a toilet to fix a clog. I believe she is singlehandedly responsible for my love of logic. When I was little and came to her with a problem, she wouldn't just give me the answer like most moms. She would walk me through problem solving steps. I know this sounds like normal parenting - but as I've grown up I have come across more and more adults that don't know how to problem solve!!!!

Dan turned 25 on his first birthday apart from his family, so I did what his family would do - filled him with a bunch of food. I made his favorite dinner of baby back ribs and followed it up with a hearty serving of German Chocolate cake. - My solo rendition of 'Happy Birthday' was rather pathetic, but it's the thought that counts.

I spent the evening yesterday pulling out all of my coats and sweaters and packing up sundresses and tanktops - an exchange I make very happily. I love boots, scarves and hoodies. Fall is my favorite time of year, good food, comfy clothes and an excuse to cuddle with my husband. I wish every month was October.

2 comments:

  1. Rachael, What nice comments about your mom. I am sure you miss her terribly. Soon enough it will be time to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma always used to say to me that when your kids move away, you get them back. I think sometimes that is true. It was for me when I went off to college. The distance gives you a different perspective. You do have a great mom. I am so impressed with her. Watching her take the bull by the horns and wrestle with that trailer when you moved just wowed me. And she did a great job as a mother. You take such good care of my son, and I hope you know how much I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete