Friday, September 10, 2010

PUNKin

What was that sound? .. There! There it was again! I walked into the living room and found my cat fast asleep, and snoring. 





Keep in mind this is after I spent the morning rescuing him from behind the washer and dryer..







My cat, Punkin, is a lot of things; wired, obsessed with straws, a pain in the butt, and sometimes he can even be sweet. My history with this cat goes way back to a time when I had no one in the world. He was the only thing there when I came home to my empty one bedroom apartment. 





When I started dating Dan and found out that he was allergic to cats, I told him to not make me choose between him and Punkin - because I'd choose my cat. 


My cat is not a normal cat. I have never met an animal with as much personality in my entire life. First off, he is obsessed with straws.  If you bring a drink home and it has a straw, he will stalk it until you are done. Just the sound of a straw dragging across the carpet with wake him from anywhere in the hose and have him within two feet in a matter of seconds. 













It might be a coincidence, but Punkin is also obsessed with shoes. He loves to lay on shoes, especially if they are Dan's boat sized shoes.  







When I found out that Dan and I were moving to Idaho, naturally I was worried. Dan is not deathly allergic - but who wants to live with a sore throat and congestion for the rest of their life? I did some research and found a bunch of things I can do to minimize the allergens. I have a vacuum with HEPA filters, we keep him out of the bedroom, I use allergen reducing Pledge surface cleaner when I dust, I brush the cat on a regular basis, and I rub him with a solution that neutralizes the allergens in his fur. Luckily, the combination of all of this seems to have worked well. 


I didn't expect Dan to bond with Punkin because Dan doesn't share my fondness of pets and he is physically repulsed by them. I was surprised when I found Dan playing on the stairs with him for a half hour, and shocked when I heard him say, "He is pretty adorable."


I love my husband more than anything in the world, and I could have never imagined the warm fuzzy feeling I get when I see him playing my cat.

2 comments:

  1. Also not a cat fan, but that video is hilarious, and I like his white paws. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Punkin has accomplish what I thought was impossible -- changing Dan's mind about cats and pets in general. Stranger things have happened, though. Katie is now a BYU fan, something that has been a bit of a surprise. I say it just adds "texture" to our family. Who knows what other surprises might await us....

    ReplyDelete